RE: Documenting an XML format -- how much detail?

Subject: RE: Documenting an XML format -- how much detail?
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- darrenbarefoot -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:54:22 -0800

This example may be of use to you (and others):

http://www.capeclear.com/support/manuals/cc47/Reference_and_Advanced_Topics.pdf

Check out the section starting on page 25 (of the digital file, page 17 in the printed). It provides examples of documenting several XML configuration files. As you can see, we basically made large tables and itemized each element that required explanation.

In terms of sample outputs, we do this all the time as well. It's a good idea, particular if your audience is developers and programmers. They tend to prefer an example that they can emulate or break down.

Cheers. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Words. Words. Words.
http://www.darrenbarefoot.com