Re: Writing Costs Worldwide

Subject: Re: Writing Costs Worldwide
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:37:03 -0500

Jon Leer wrote:
> How much does a senior technical writer cost throughout the world in US
> dollars?...
> Any idea? I want to know what US writers are competing against.

We're still competing against each other, but for a smaller pie.

The challenge for US tech writers is not that you are competing head-to-head
against offshore TWs. That comparison isn't even entering into the business
calculation. The challenge is that entire IT projects are moving offshore,
which leaves US tech writers to compete for spots in fewer projects. The
frustrating thing is that your skills don't matter, because they aren't
being evaluated in this process.

That's not to say that you shouldn't always improve your skills. To survive
you will need top skills plus a clever business approach.

Mike O.