RE: Quark & Frame vs. Word

Subject: RE: Quark & Frame vs. Word
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "M Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:39:52 -0500

>> My second question: do most of you use Word
>> revision control on documents when editing?

>Noooo! Revision control on long documents makes
>bad things happen, like crashing Word and fouling
>up the document.

So do styles, footers, and headers, if applied incorrectly...and that
Spell Check feature...I don't get me started...I don't even want to
think about all the times perfectly good words with tiny little letter
errors were changed to words that had nothing to do with the topic...

I've been using Revision control for years. Never had a problem that
wasn't attributed to my stupidity. Wanna avoid lots of Revision Control
problems? Remember to accept/or reject the changes after each revision
cycle. That way, you don't have the issue of working with different
revision versions in the same document.

>It also encourages clients, internal and external,
>to query every change you make to their precious words.

Not really...lack of control, guidelines, and instruction does that.

>Suggest you get your client to mark up hardcopy.
>
>Revision control bad.

Control of Revision control good.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer