RE: OT offshoring

Subject: RE: OT offshoring
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:46:50 -0600

At 12:02 PM -0800 1/7/04, T. Word Smith wrote:

Think of it this way.

An approximately 6.7 scale earthquake hit Northridge
California a decade ago. About (I think) 60 people
died.

An earthquake of about 6.7 hit Iran last week. Upwards
of 25,000 died.

IOW, you really do know the answer. I'm not sure
pulling down our standard of living is the correct way
to handle this, but I rest assured that companies move
their product offshore to compete, to give their
products a lower price here and abroad (without a
reduction in quality), and not to pad CEO profits.

Globalism has landed. I don't think we can work out
the kinks on-list. My opinion, anyway.

I agree that globalism has landed. I disagree that the end result is lower prices and more competitive products. I have yet to see the prices lowered on software that is written offshore, or see cars that are now produced offshore with lower prices.

I do see more CEO's etc., getting better compensation. In some instances some companies are also saying that they are getting higher profits. I don't see that the profits are that great.

Scott