Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker

Subject: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker
From: "Caroline Tabach" <Caroline -at- radcom -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 11:42:48 +0200

In the near future our company will be looking for a temporary worker
(sub contractor).
Our documentation is in FrameMaker (6, not structured).
I have been asked to formulate an exam/test for candidates.
The test has to test 2 things:
1. skills in FrameMaker.
2. Technical writing ability
I would combine the both (ask them to write something in Frame)

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions how to test someone's working
knowledge of FrameMaker (all our books are in a specific template and we
wouldn't expect the person to change that).

Do you have suggestions of how to test someone's proficiency in
technical writing (someone suggested asking them to write a user guide
for a cellular phone or a hole maker, what do you think?).
thanks

Caroline Tabach
RADCOM MarCom
e-mail: CarolineT -at- radcom -dot- com