Re: freelance editor rates

Subject: Re: freelance editor rates
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:04:11 -0800 (PST)

If I were converting from FTE techwriting to
self-employed contracting, I would do it this way:

Salary * 30% / 1600.

That is, figure 30% makes up for social security and
employer-supplemented healthcare, etc., and then
assume you'll only work about 1600 hours in a year,
figuring the rest for "looking for work," holidays,
and the rest.

Thus, an STC-average $65,000-per-year salary becomes
an hourly rate of $53.

Am not sure that was the question, though, and I don't
know what editors make hourly in the N.E.--will check
and post if I find out.

--- Rick Bishop <bishopr -at- jcdc -dot- jobcorps -dot- org> wrote:

> No idea what you should get in the NE US, but if you
> have good info on what a full time position with
> similar responsibilities pays, then add 35-40% and
> divide by 2000(hrs worked per yr) to get an hourly
> rate.
> Independent short-term contract work should get
> significantly more than full time positions.
> Rick

=====
T.

http://search.yahoo.com/top2003