Re: EGOS

Subject: Re: EGOS
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:52:32 -0800

Diane Boos wrote:

I agree whole-heartedly! I've had to tell several managers that I was not a
glorified secretary.

You mean the ones that say, "Don't try to understand this, just put it in the manual somewhere"?

On one VB development team, the project manager
assigned me all the routine tasks, such as getting new team members
connections, passwords, etc. But I didn't feel to bad, he assigned a
developer the job of "social secretary." It all depends upon the structure
of the team. Getting all the routine nitty-gritty for the team certainly
gave me a good insight into the corporate culture.

You're right, grabbing chores like that is a good way to establish yourself as part of the team. On the other hand, the fact that the PM equated "tech writer" with "clerical resource" is kind of troubling.

--
Isaac Rabinovitch
Unemployed API Tech Writer

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com