MS Word template question

Subject: MS Word template question
From: "Katie Henry" <katie-henry -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:32:58 -0500

I've been away from MS Word for a few years. Now that I'm back, I see that
they've introduced a whole raft of new automation features to confuse me.
I've got most of them turned off, but I'm defeated by seomthing that's
happening with templates.

I created a basic template -- it just defines the format of heads and body
text, no macros or anything fancy -- and put it in the template directory.
Whenever I apply this template to a document or paste the contents of a file
into a doc based on the template, every paragraph in the whole document
becomes numbered (except for the heads, which are already numbered, but
using
a different outline numbering style).

Somehow the Normal style in the doc is getting redefined to have outline
numbering (i, ii, iii, etc.) and this change is getting propogated to all
the
styles that are based on Normal (i.e., just about everything). If I modify
Normal in the document to remove outline numbering, my doc is fine ... until
I close and re-open it, then the numbers are back. Normal is not defined
this
way in the template or in Normal.dot.

I could eliminate this problem by turning off Automatic Update Styles, but
that defeats the purpose of templates.

Can anyone tell me how Normal is picking up this style change and how to
make
it stop?

Thanks,
Katie