Re: How to deal with incorrect editing

Subject: Re: How to deal with incorrect editing
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:44:44 -0500

>> I would like to be rich; our livelihoods are likely all at risk
>> these days. However, we're writers and grammar is the cornerstone
of
>> our profession.
>
> No - it isn't. COMMUNICATION is the cornerstone of your profession.
> Grammar is subservient to communication. Most managers and users
> don't care about high-n-mighty rules of grammar.

That's what conventions of grammar are about -- communicating.

> Being a grammar nazi might give you satisfaction, but it can really
> irritate people. People who sign your paychecks, for example.

Demonizing those who care about correct writing may be satisfying to
some, but it can really irritate people.

> Furthermore, part of the reason your profession is "at risk" is
> because there are so many writers who are obsessed with trees
> (grammar) while ignoring forests (content). This infuriates people
> like me (managers) who need work done (concepts communicated), not
> nitpicking over minutia.

You are precisely the people whose writing needs to be made suitable
for consumption.

> Communication (content) are always more important than grammar.

See what I mean? LOL.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com