RE: How to deal with incorrect editing

Subject: RE: How to deal with incorrect editing
From: jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:21:07 -0700

> It must be fun to be so rich that you can risk your livelihood for the sake
> of a point of grammar.

...and it must be pleasant and dreamy to fly a desk at work, taking money
for not doing a job well.

My POV: we as tech communicators are advocates for the USER, for the
READER, and not for the BOSSES who misremember Miss Thistlebottom rules.
Instead, we need to make information clear, concise, and accurate. As
Andrew pointed out of course, we must understand _why_ comments and
corrections occur. It would be helpful in this discussion to have the
text. That is, if the boss-corrected copy reads, "The user understands
their works," then as a tech communicator it is your duty to point out the
grammatical mistake. It's certainly your duty to do so without snide
comments and without sounding English-teacher-weenie-ish. Still, you
probably want to point out to your boss that you don't want her to look
bad...and that it's in her best interests to listent to you.

Mythoughtsanyway.

joe

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com