Justification/Tech Writer Role/Non-Profit Development Team

Subject: Justification/Tech Writer Role/Non-Profit Development Team
From: robert -dot- kennedy -at- textexcellence -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:37:38 -0700

Hey Folks,

I've searched the archives and am stumped.
I know many of you have written papers justifying
your roles as tech writers for businesses...

I'm working for a large non-profit that's building a
cutting edge digital repository (in cooperation with a
prestigious university) to serve libraries worldwide.

I've been in this role for a month, but a new development
manager wants to know why they need a tech writer at this stage.
(To this point I've done data flows for developers and edited research
notes. The project is expected to go for another 12-18 months; the
software is being built from scratch in Java.)

If any of you have worked in such a capacity, could you throw me
a line or two?

I've identified statements like:

+ Must provide transparency needs (comprehensive, accessible
documentation) to support the mission statements (?business functions?) of
X and its affiliates.

+ There is a advantage to providing continuity (to protect information
integrity of approach via a concurrent documentation ?shadow?) throughout
the process: from prototyping to development and rollout.

I know this is not very much information -- please email me if you need
more details.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bobby
info AT textexcellence.com