RE: Indexing gui elements

Subject: RE: Indexing gui elements
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:41:10 -0500

Ruth,

An appendix in table format that lists all the elements may prove more
useful. I work on applications that interact with mainframe applications.
Many of my users are more familiar with green screens than they are with web
interface, so I provide a set of reference tables that define all the
fields, whether they are calculated or just retrieved, and what they map to
in the mainframe code sets. For the users who started in mainframe, it's
invaluable, for the users who started with web apps, they simply ignore it.
Only key fields defined in these tables are indexed, and the index indicates
a definition as a sub-entry. I'm not sure that defining standard GUI
elements would be much of a help to most users, but I do provide an
introductory topic in help files that lists the primary commands available
as buttons, and that topic is indexed. I think doing the same thing for
every screen in application would be horrendous overkill.

Just MTC,

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause I'm afraid
that we've been cheated here on Earth" - Clint Black "Galaxy Song"