RE: COMPUTER DICTIONARIES

Subject: RE: COMPUTER DICTIONARIES
From: Solena -dot- LEMOIGNE -at- fr -dot- thalesgroup -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:03:42 +0100

Listmembers,

Ms Langley wonders: "I'd like to know which dictionaries (online or printed)
you use to research computer terms."

I go to the Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique"
http://www.granddictionnaire.com
It's *the* terminology database for french and english terms.

I also use Eurodicautom http://www.europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/Controller
which is the EU terminology database. (I'm not so sure about the WWW in this
address, I typed it from memory, as we have no direct access to the Internet
for security reasons.)

I prefer those two to any others, as they provide complete context of use
for each term.

Both are considered as first-class resources, and not as standards. However,
I have noticed that for french terms, they faithfully respect the rules for
creating new words. E.g.: Cryptopériode (and not crypto-période);
ministation (and not mini-station). As long as they follow the rules and do
not tweak them without apparent reasons, it's fine by me.

Hope this helps.

P.S.: The quotation 'The wonderful thing about standards is that there are
so many from which you can choose.' comes from one person who participated
in the conception of the Unix system. I can't remember precisely who it was.

Solena Le Moigne
Thales Communications - Cholet
solena.lemoigne[at]fr.thalesgroup.com
I'm on Digest, please answer directly.