RE: My own problem in RoboHelp

Subject: RE: My own problem in RoboHelp
From: "SCHUTZ, ME" <me -dot- schutz -at- thermo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:56:39 -0600

Hi kk...

There are a couple of things to check when you see TOC problems in a
help system...

1. Search your drives for a *.gid file (titled the same as your help
system)...
If one exists, delete it from every place it's found on your
system.
The *.gid file is a local reference intended to speed up the help
engine...
but it can lock you into an old cnt file...

2. Use Notepad to open your *.cnt file...
check the text entries to see what the item is linked to in the
actual file used by the compiler.
RoboHelp has been known to do funky things when updating (or not
updating as the case may be...) *.cnt files
Everything looks fine from the RoboHelp interface...but doesn't
work...

You should see entries like:
2 Items not covered by
warranty=Items_not_covered_by_warranty>(w95sec)
leading number is the level on the contents tree
The next text is the title for the page or help book that the
customer sees...
following the = you get the topic actually linked to...
following the > you get the display window...

3. Use Notepad to open your *.hh file...
You should see entries like:
#define Powering_off_the_spectrometer 10

Make sure there is a #define statement for the "missing topic"
If not, create one...

Usually the answer is found in one of these places...
best to you...

ME

Mary Ellen Schutz
Sr. Technical Writer