Re: For what it's worth

Subject: Re: For what it's worth
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:27:27 +1000

Kk passed on this:

... in the same conversation he said the local IBM people have been told that everyone is required to take off the last two weeks of this month. I've seen and heard about that kind of forced time off at other companies, and in each case they were desperate to save enough money to keep the company going for another quarter.

I was a contractor with IBM Australia off and on for nearly 10 years (both good and bad years for the company), and it was standard practice (as in many other Australian companies) to close down for the Christmas-New Year weeks. Everyone (with a few exceptions) was forced for take vacation time. It was not a sign of desperation; others have suggested good business reasons for that practice. Of course, if this is something new with IBM in the USA, then I suppose one can read into it whatever one wishes. And if this is forced _unpaid_ leave (not vacation leave), then your surmise might be correct.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com