Re: XML-based Help Authoring tools for customized help

Subject: Re: XML-based Help Authoring tools for customized help
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:02:19 -0500

Well, Mark has far more time and patience than I. I have to say I'm in full
agreement with him.

In one response:
> No, we can't agree, because you are conflating two
> separate concepts.

And that's the worst thing about XML discussions. The tools wars are even
nastier than Word vs Frame. It's often FAR more than simply mixing just two
concepts together.

It's like the religious lather some get into over the WYSIWYG/ WYSIOO or whether
an application is best suited for XML data or documentation or how REAL(tm) XML
has to be coded by hand in a text editor. There's so much pointless twaddle
presented by people supposedly in 'the know' that it's hardly surprising someone
trying to start out and explore gets quickly confused.

Not to pick on Sean specifically, but the negative view expressed against FM is
a prime example of this plain stupidity and obvious baggage carried by the
person presenting THEIR way of doing things and putting down another's.

The Epic salesman tried the same crap here. FM is for print only, EDDs are
complicated, EPIC is TRUE(tm) XML. Rubbish. FM needs EDDs, EPIC needs FOSI,
screen and print. Different approaches and workflows that can produce identical
results.

As I do know FrameMaker quite well, I could address some of the biases and
prejudices that you'll hear from the evangelical XML types. But, I just don't
have the patience. Suffice it to say I have yet to come across any argument
(other than the lack of native Unicode support) against FM that hasn't been
unfounded or more an issue of tool bias and unfamiliarity than anything else.
How you design your XML DTDs and organise your information life cycle is
entirely up to you and/or the designer. And it's COMPLETELY tool independent.

FM does give you some HUGE advantages. One of which is that you can give a
structured template to ANY user and nothing needs to be set-up on their
computer. When you get the FM file back, you can save to XML on a machine that
is properly set-up. Most other systems I've seen require a minimum of set-up
knowledge and XML expertise beyond just tagging to get the setup right. FM
requires only a brief introduction to clicking on elements instead of paragraph
formats, an explanation of the purpose of some of the tags, and the authors
buy-in to use the tags based on content purpose and not formatting.

Structure view, and being able to work with or without the tags showing in-line
is a huge time saver and convenience. Anybody who enjoys having to type in
opening and closing tags is insane and needs their head examined IMO.

One absolutely HUGE advantage of FM is what you see on screen can be printed out
for review. Got nothing to do with WYSIWYG/WYSIOO. The template you work in may
have nothing to do with the final product. But at least while the file is a work
in progress the editors, engineers, and authors can relate to the document in
some way on screen and in print that is similar. Indeed EVERYTHING in XML is
WYSIOO. All you have to do is apply a new EDD, XSL, etc. and all is
re-formatted.

If people spent half the amount of time talking about actual requirements and
how to make a workflow WORK instead of quibbling over the meaning of true XML,
the masses would realise how pathetically simple most of the concepts are. But,
many of the high priests and priestesses of the XML world (ie consultants) have
a vested interest in confusing definitions and blowing smoke to either continue
receiving high payments or to continue with the ego of being Alpha-Geek.

The WOW articles on XML were refreshingly down to Earth and I suggest all those
that are interested in learning read them.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com