Re: revising a tw course

Subject: Re: revising a tw course
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:18:43 +0000

Joe,

I have to go with Dick an Goober's comments. For a beginners' course in TW, these are all things that should come much later, if at all. While a resume and cover letter are 'basics', they are stuff that should come naturally to a TW once they are trained to do the job.

My first thought was to add something on the psychology of reading and/or lingusitics. At which point it occurred to me that you don't tell us what you're teaching, so we can't dream up a project on it. So what are you teaching? If you're getting your students to write 'documentation' in the first semester you are making the assumption that 'everybody can (already) write'. Which we know isn't so, or we wouldn't be here. So maybe it's time to review the whole syllabus, not just the projects.

I don't see the relevance of software sophisitication to your course; nor would I assume that first semester TW students, espacially those from other majors, are aware of design principles. What do you know about these students that we don't? (A: Almost everything...)

Regards,
Ant

Joe Pellegrino wrote:

Gentles,

It's the end of another semester teaching tech writing, and I'm itching to revise my syllabus. I'm wondering what projects you think should be included in a beginning tech writing course. I'm afraid that my requirements, once pretty stringent, have become less so as software gets more sophisticated and students become more familiar with document design principles.

Here are the projects I currently require, each with its own strictures and guidelines:

1. a machine-readable resume
2. a cover letter
3. a personal web site
4. a group web site
5. a tri-fold brochure

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com