Re: PC World RTFM

Subject: Re: PC World RTFM
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:24:29 -0800

Goldstein, Dan wrote:

I can't speak for the Best Buy types, but in commercial niche software,
printed manuals are often used as a sales tool.
True, but the computer retail/service center I managed was not a Best Buy store, we sold and serviced everything from individual computer systems to large networks that stretched all across Alaska (where I lived at the time) and in all flavors of operating systems (Mac, Windows, UNIX, etc.). A few system had useable printed manuals, most didn't and the number that didn't increased every year as companies found CD based documentation cheaper to produce. When I wrote for Tivoli Systems (IBM), they produced hard copy manuals; however, that was also changing. It's very expensive to produce hard copies when the product changes daily. In my experience, price point and and a reputable field service team are often better sales tools for high end systems than manuals that the purchasing decision maker will never read.

Al
--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com