Re: "upgrade"?

Subject: Re: "upgrade"?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:17:24 -0500

"Erika Yanovich" <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com> wrote on 12/03/2003 08:33:28 AM:
> Their documentation
> recommends choosing between building the links and
> building the project from scratch! We have numerous on-
> going projects built with this tool, some of them
> containing up to 200 links (and one with about 500). What
> would you do?

I'd first determine if the upgrade was absolutely necessary. Did it fix any
critical bugs that were halting/hindering production?
If it wasn't I'd remain with the older version for all current projects. If
there are no brand new projects on the horizon, I'd demand a refund for the
upgrade costs. If it wasn't clearly indicated that older projects would be
difficult to migrate, you have a case that it was a hidden defect.

I would then investigate all alternatives to the product being used and compare
the cost of transferring the projects that have to be kept current to the
different solution versus the cost of rebuilding all the existing files for the
upgrade. Also, I'd re-evaluate if the product was the best tool for the job
compared to the competition for future new projects. Cheapest solution wins.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com