Antwort: Do you permit SMEs to revise your drafts?

Subject: Antwort: Do you permit SMEs to revise your drafts?
From: Kerstin -dot- Molthagen -at- etas -dot- de
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:58:20 +0100

Hi Patricia!

Patricia wrote:

>In general, do you permit your SMEs to revise your drafts directly, or
>to report their concerns to you?
I permit them to do so, yes, and what's more, I _ask_ them to do so.

>If you prefer that they report any concerns or corrections to you, how do
>you collect the feedback? [...]
I send out PDF files for review, and I take whatever feedback I get - paper
scribbled all over with barely legible comments, PDFs covered in notes,
e-mails listing corrections...

What I do not get, and do not want to get, are edited FrameMaker sources.
Hardly anyone outside the documentation group can use FrameMaker, and
teaching the SMEs to use FM just for reviewing purposes is not worth their
and my time. (Teaching someone to use FM so that s/he can write the first
draft of a new chapter is quite another matter...) Plus, I use change bars
and special paragraph and character templates a lot when creating draft
versions; if others add their favourite colors/fonts/whatever, the document
would become unreadable. If others do not add their favourite
colors/fonts/whatever, I may miss their remarks.

Ciao,
Kerstin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com