RE: Word, Frame, xml authoring and work flow. Opinions? (long)

Subject: RE: Word, Frame, xml authoring and work flow. Opinions? (long)
From: "Bill Lawrence" <scribe -at- matrixplus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:32:22 -0500

David,

Wow. I'm an absolute raving fan of XML and Epic is a nice product, but I
think you're heading for big trouble with this approach. XML can have a
steep learning curve. I've worked for two large organizations that used
Epic and it's predecessor Adept. In one company, I was the "tools guy"
who wrote the XSLT scripts, trained the writers, etc., so I have a bit
of experience in bringing XML-based publishing into an organization.
Given your time constraints and at least one group of authors that don't
want to even tackle Frame, I'd say going this route would be highly
risky.

Perhaps Epic can work with the new Word, but I'd want to do a
significant amount of testing before I staked the project on that. I'd
also want to be an absolute wizard with XML, XSLT, and a scripting
language such as PERL, just so I had enough tools in my "bag of tricks"
to handle anything that came up. If that doesn't describe your skill
set, I'd be doubly cautious about using an XML solution.

Bill Lawrence

Senior Technical Writer
Matrix Solutions

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com