Re: "master" and "slave" banned in Los Angeles County

Subject: Re: "master" and "slave" banned in Los Angeles County
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:36:31 -0800

George Mena wrote:

This doesn't surprise me, given America's past history in fighting the Civil
War in part over slavery.

I'm willing to bet, though, that some people are rolling their eyes at this
one.

To tell the truth, I find it amusing from both sides.

On the one hand, I believe in non-sexist and inclusive language. Language self-evidently shapes our thoughts, even if it doesn't determine them absolutely, so these things matter. From this point of view, I shake my head about the people who instantly heap scorn on the efforts to change the language, no matter what their perspective. Too often, they seem willfully naive.

On the other hand, while a concern for the effects of language is healthy, there is a point where any cause becomes neuroticly obssessive. There are real battles to fight, yet the person who got the terms banned probably imagines that he or she has accomplished something important.

In short, I see a great clash of half-truths. Neither side, it seems to me, is quite right, or gives a very accurate sense of the world.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"I risked tears and disappointment
When the chance for them was high,
I been dunked in the water
And I watched that stream run dry."
- The Mollys, "Strike Me Down I'm Tired of Sinnin'"

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com