Yet another Word numbering question

Subject: Yet another Word numbering question
From: rsering -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:09:54 +0000

Hi all! I need to reformat Word 2002 documents as follows:

Currently, the docs are set up with Headings 1 through 8 or so with your basic outline numbering. Heading 1's appear as 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and so forth, heading 2's appear as 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 with heading 3's as 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc.

What I need to do, and what Word seems to be very uncooperative about, is to set up the Heading 1's with NO NUMBERING. The heading 2's would then follow the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 format with all lower level headings following along as before.

BUT...I get really whacky results when I redefine these styles. I have found one reference that says the thing to do is strip out all numbering formats from all headings before defining a custom scheme. The thing is, I'm under time constraints and I can ill afford the time to experiment and see if Word can be wrestled into submission. Will this work? Is there another trick that anyone knows out there? Anything you might be able to contribute would be much appreciated!

- Ron Sering

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com