Re: Career moves? What jobs are technical writers likely to move toward

Subject: Re: Career moves? What jobs are technical writers likely to move toward
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:04:41 -0800 (PST)

"Scott Abel" <> wrote ...

> I'm writing an article about technical communication that seeks to determine
> if there are likely careers some technical writers move toward as they grow
> their expertise, or become interested in alternative career paths.

After doing tech writing for about 7 years or so, I moved into information
security consulting. Now, I run one of the largest information security firms
in the Pacific Northwest with 100+ customers including 30 different Fortune
1000 customers and 5 federal and state government contracts. My firm also
oversees all information security for the new elections system in Oregon.

I had done a lot of programming, database development, and networking when I
was a tech writer, so I had the prerequisites to work in information security.
I also did a lot of documentation work in security. And I used that work as a
learning experience.

Part of my reasoning for leaving tech writing was the dearth of opportunities
in tech writing. There is a ceiling in tech writing that you hit quickly (if
you're any good). Even if you're the best writer in the world, you can never
make much money at tech writing and you'll never be taken seriously in some
circles.

I loved tech writing and it was vert beneficial to me in my career. Its part of
the reason I still hang around techwr-l. But, there is a limit to what you can
do in tech writing. I had bigger aspirations than just sitting in a cubicle all
day and pecking out manuals.

I wanted to be a lumberjack. Oh he's a lumberjack and he's ok, he sleeps all
night and he works all day. He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps, he likes to
press wild flowers....

Sorry....what was I saying? Oh yeah, tech writers.

I think the most important advice tech writers can hear today is - don't limit
yourself to tech writing. Tech writers are often in a prime position to learn
the nitty gritty of technology and various industries. Yet, they often squander
that position worrying about marginal issues. Don't waste time obsessing over
fonts and style guides. Pay attention to the content and the industry and know
what it all means.

Anyways, good luck with your article.

Andrew Plato

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now