Re: FrameMaker and track changes? (take III)

Subject: Re: FrameMaker and track changes? (take III)
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:34:10 -0500

"Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca> wrote on 11/20/2003 11:15:14 AM:
> Third time, and out!

Next up to bat! ;)

> Sometimes "save as" works, sometimes it doesn't, and I've
> never been able to
> pin down what causes this. But the copy/paste trick works
> every time.

"Sometimes it works." Unofficial slogan of virtually evert computer application
out there right. ;)

> I have two reservations about this. First, Microsoft
> always takes three tries to "get it right",
> and their XML implementation is currently version
> 0.9--I'd wait until at least the second release before
> relying on this in a production environment.

I have a much bigger reservation. I might end up using MSWord for my writing
duties sometime in the future. :D

I'm certainly going to wait as long as I can. But, I'm going to take learning
XML applications/technology much more seriously now. I am starting from a VERY
solid and advanced knowledge of SGML/XML in a Framemaker workflow, so at least I
have a solid grounding if I have to switch applications.

> Second, if the goal is to achieve
> something like
> revision tracking, Word's the only game in town.
> (WordPerfect can work too,
> but the original poster is using Word.)

Not so. With XML there's XMLdiff (
http://apps.gotdotnet.com/xmltools/xmldiff/default.aspx) and any other SGML/XML
comparison utilities. Although I'm still looking for an SGML application similar
to XMLDiff. I thought that transforming my current SGML files to XML and then
running XMLDiff would be a good solution, but I'm having a bear of a time
learning how to use the nsgmls tools.

Plus if you're checking XML into a CMS/revision control system all the
advantages of saving deltas and comparing text is available.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com