Use Cases, up front

Subject: Use Cases, up front
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:42:53 -0500

<oblique venting>
Does anybody work for a company that employes "Use Cases" early in the
design of software/hardware product and interface? Anybody work for a
company that decides early how the user experience/user interface should
operate, and then designs the software, firmware, and maybe even hardware to
reflect the resulting requirements?

Or does everybody work for companies that figure out the interface and Use
Cases (if they bother) long after they've designed the guts of the product
and is finally getting to how-in-heck a user will actually make this sucker
do something?

If anybody is in the former camp, do you expect to be in business much
longer?

I'm serious. If early adoption of Use Cases is a good way to develop a
product, then I'd like to push it at my place. I get "heck" for doing so
much of my Customer documentation close to delivery time (giving my
reviewers a big job with a tight deadline), but when the umpteenth "Release
Candidate" has gone by and they're just getting to what terminology should
be used in some new commands... If there's a good example (or three) of a
successful company that has gotten that way by defining what the user needs
to accomplish and how they should do it, before they design the rest of the
product, I wanna hear about 'em.

Puhleeze.

Thankee kindly </oblique venting>,

/kevin