Re: STC Salary survey??

Subject: Re: STC Salary survey??
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:02:12 -0800 (PST)

> Some of you had mentioned in the past that the STC
> Salary Survey is not
> accurate. Is there another survey to let us know
> what tech writers make?
> I am actually in interviews and have found that most
> companies offer really
> low salaries for the jobs posted. It seems they all
> want technical senior
> responsibilities for junior salaries. How is that
> possible? is the market
> doing this to our industry?

Did someone just thaw you from a 5 year hibernation?
This has been the case for some time now. It's supply
vs. demand. The supply of tech writer candidates is
high, and the demand for writers is low. Therefore,
companies can low-ball and get a good candidate, as
some pay is perceived as better than no pay. Well, it
is, but don't get me started on the whole "principles"
thing again... ;)

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com