RE: STC Salary survey?

Subject: RE: STC Salary survey?
From: "G. Abenhaim" <g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:39:20 -0500

Hi Geoff,

gosh, that is so depressing that it's a buyers' market as you say. I though
that was for Real Estate only. :-)

You do have a valid point about the survey portraying the optimistic
portrait of STC members and not that of the population as a whole. It is a
good indication nonetheless for us out there who are doing ineterviews.

I will do a search on the Canadian salaries and companies as to get
knowledge that tech writers are valuable these days as 10,000 days ago. It
is sad that companies want a multi-tasker with complete technical knowledge
as well as a great personality and who is independent and a team player but
yet we are still not considered "engineers" (Im using the word loosely) or I
may say we are not recognized for our endeavours. Why do others get the
title and the pay when they do almost or as much as we do? When will "we"
get recognized with a salary or a title. We could stay "technical writers"
or "technical communicators" for the rest of our lives. It's been almost 10
years I'm in this field and somehow I cannot get out of it because my resume
seems to only say "tech writer" as a title. Now, if I change that title to
"business analyst/illustrator/project manager" or anything else, do you
think they will give me the same credit as others? They probably wont.

I am not here to complain but it seems the industry is producing more tech
writers and companies want the junior people more because they are cheap.
Now in my days, I always thought "quality of work" was more important than
just some do-gooder who does the same job but has no clue what he's doing..
Sorry if I seem upset about this.. but it goes back to the posting of
outsourcing overseas and we should somehow convince our employers to let
them know what we are worth. keep the faith :-)
I will keep you posted with what I find in my search but in the meantime I
will be patient and wait for the best opportunity that knocks at my door.
/Grace