Word's creating separate entries for same top-level index entries

Subject: Word's creating separate entries for same top-level index entries
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:49:41 -0800

I'm having this funny problem with a Word index (a Word file that's
generated by RH X4.1, but I don't beleive that's an issue). In many cases,
I've created index entries for both top-level words and secondary level
words. For example, I might have index entries such as these:

{XE Issues:Creating}
{XE Issue}

{XE Issues:Deleting}
{XE Issues}

I expect the index to look like this:

Issues 47, 49
Creating 47
Deleting 49

Instead, what I get is this:

Issues
Creating 47
Deleting 49
Issues 47
Issues 49

In most cases, there are 6 or 8 or 10 or more of these top-level entries,
each with one page number, after the to--level entry that has secondary
level entries. This neither looks good nor makes sense.

I don't understand why Word

- is not combining like entries and listing multiple page numbers
- is not adding page numbers to top-level entries that also have sub-entries

I can find no switches in either the XE or INDEX fields that seem to control
this. Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?

Chuck Martin

P.S. I looked in some book indexes, for top-level terms that have
sub-entries, some have page numbers, some do not, which leads me to believe
there is not hard-and-fast rule, just a stylistic issue as to a preferred
method.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com