Viewing Word 97 comments in later Word version?

Subject: Viewing Word 97 comments in later Word version?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:01:36 -0500

Bonnie Granat reports: <<My client is having difficulty seeing my comments
in a later version of Word. Any ideas? I'm not sure what version he has.>>

It's a good bet that he's using Word XP, since this problem was common in
that version. There are two main possibilities. First, if you're lucky: The
problem may simply involving changing a setting or two in Word. Older
versions of Word let you disable the display of comments in the View
preferences, so on the assumption that XP works similarly, that's a good
place to look first. I also recall reading that you have to be looking at
the document in Page Layout view in order to see the comments. (It's one of
those views--I don't have XP installed, so I can't say which one. Others can
provide the necessary corrections.)

Second, if you're unlucky: Early releases of Word XP had all kinds of
problems communicating edits with earlier versions of the software. Several
service releases (corrections, updates, etc.) for Word XP have been made
available on the Microsoft site, and your client should install these.
(That's the unlucky part: most people aren't comfortable installing
Microsoft updates, and some even have "locked down" computers that prevent
them from doing so. <ahem>) The updates fix a variety of problems, including
the problem of file exchange with Word 97. This one I can vouch for
personally, because I've encountered it with two colleagues.

--Geoff Hart, ghart -at- [delete]videotron -dot- ca
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"It's one thing to see death coming at the hands of your own creation.
That's part of the human epic tradition, after all. Oedipus and his father.
Baron Frankenstein and his monster. William Henry Gates and Windows
'09."--David Brin, _Kiln People_

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com