Re: Annual Performance Review, new manager...

Subject: Re: Annual Performance Review, new manager...
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:11:34 -0500

What I hear in this message is that you're lacking self confidence to be the
manager - you're too worried about whether or not you're qualified to be
effectively managing your people. For better or for worse, you're the
manager now, and you should start acting like it - that includes not
worrying about differences in pay, and letting personal issues get in the
way of managing your employees. Obviously, the company had enough faith in
your abilities to make you a manager, so that should be reward enough.

If you're really insecure, and the company offers tuition reimbursement,
take some management and people-skills courses to improve your abilities.

On your specific issue, I first must say that I'm not a manager, and I've
not been trained as one. However, it seems to me that giving him a failing
grade without stating your expectations won't do either of you any good.
He'll resent it, and you'll constantly be questioning the decision, and the
review may come back to bite either one of you.

Use this review to start anew. Give him an average or adequate rating, and
state why you are doing so - and then go through your expectations of what a
writer should be. Take the time over the next year to walk him through
those expectations - showing him how to research, being a tough editor (and
require him to correct your edits), et cetera.

Remember: you're the leader, and you set the bar for your employees. Set
expectations and follow through with them.

Jeff Hanvey
Thomson, GA
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk
http://www.jewahe.net