Re: Re: Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article?

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:49:20 -0800 (PST)

There seems to be a rising tide of incidents of information security problems when offshoring is done hastily and without proper controls. About a week ago, for example, there was a story about one company who had its core application code misappropriated by a contractor in Eastern Europe.

I know from personal experience that most software from the West is available in Russia and Ukraine approximately as fast as it is available in the U.S.--generally for under $2 per CD. When visiting Kyiv, Ukraine, on two occasions, I saw vendors in flea markets and at subway stations hawking the latest apps from Corel, Adobe, Microsoft, and Oracle, just to name a few.

When I was tech writing for Nokia, inadequate supervision of the contractors from India was resulting in millions of dollars in overpayments each year just for one of the switches whose software engineering was being done there.

Personally, I would think that anyone contemplating moving programming jobs offshore should consider it only for those activities which are not core to their business. The supervision and control of these core businesses simply seems to me to be better controlled locally.

David

-----Original Message from Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>-----

I don't this stands up very well as a "reason not to
offshore." Lax security and careless handling of data
are hardly unique to foreign countries (hell, most of
the "data-related" crimes you can think of were invented
in the US), and the poor management that produces them
would probably happen no matter where a badly-run firm
set up shop. I think our personal data is just as safe
in India or Ireland as it is in Dallas or Chicago
(which is to say, not very safe at all).

Gene Kim-Eng

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com