Re: Security Clearance

Subject: Re: Security Clearance
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:47:04 -0700

On 10 Nov 2003 at 15:00, Michael Schiesl wrote:

> Glad you brought this up...I have a few questions here. I worked at
> NSA when I was in the army (1990-1994) and had a TS clearance w/ poly.
> I assume it 'expired' when I left the service (am I correct?). If it
> is expired, is there any way to 'reinstate' my clearance? I have no
> idea who I could call to find out more about this (FBI field office?).

All security clearances are essentially based on a "need to know".
Your clearance doesn't "expire", it is taken away when you leave a
job because your need to know has gone away. Anyone who has
had a clearance and left a job was "debriefed" when he/she left the
company (I always loved that term :) And you can't get a clearance
reinstated unless you have a need to know once again.

Once you've had a clearance, it may take a little less time to get a
second one, but you can't just apply for one because you want to
apply for jobs that require one. Often, when you work for a company
where a security clearance is required, you're security level may go
up and down, depending upon the work you do. There are basically
three classes of clearances: Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret.
There are also special clearances for special projects. I held a
Secret clearance when I worked at Ga Tech (we were doing
defense contract work), but a time or two it was elevated so I could
work on a project and then dropped back down when the project
was over...

I, for one, am glad I do not have to work in an environment where
security clearances are required. It's a pain to sit behind locked
doors, pull your daily work out of a safe (and be *personally
responsible* for the information in the safe), have a co-worker "baby
sit" any classified material you might have on your desk every time
you need a potty break, etc. GTRI was my first job -- I was amazed
at how lax (and stressfree) the environment was when I began
working in private industry. I would prefer never to work in a secured
environment again.

Dana W.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com