Re: student survey

Subject: Re: student survey
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:37:06 -0500

From: "Edwin Dahlquist" <Edwin -dot- Dahlquist -at- asu -dot- edu>

> To regard the "survey" as anything but a marketing ploy is naive.

I have no reason to believe without any evidence, that the poster was lying. I'm
sorry. I just don't. You can call me naive, if you want. I'd rather be naive
than automatically think people are liars.

It is based
> on Cialdini's basic work on commitment--once you have stated an opinion, there
> is a strong tendency to subsequently reiterate and support that opinion. The
> same ploy was evident in "contests" that require a customer to state (in 25 or
> 50 words) why the xyz widget is best. The contest is irrelevant; the important
> thing is to force prospective customers to formulate a response indicating
they
> prefer xyz widget. Once stated, consistency kicks in big time, and requires
> that the customer act, walk, and talk in concert with his or her stated
opinion.

One can answer questions about what software one might like to see without
committing on any deep level. I don't agree that this research you cite is of
particular relevance here.

> For an interesting insight, try Cialdini's "Influence" or any or Robert
Baron's
> works on social psychology. If you think it is fluff, bear in mind that it was
> used by the Chinese in Korea to turn US POWs at an alarming rate. (Not
personal
> opinion--see Dr. Cialdini's work, and Baron's work on police interrogation
> techniques to extract willing "confessions" to crimes not committed.)

All of this may be quite true; I don't doubt it, but in the present case, it
still boils down only to your believing -- without any evidence -- that the
poster was lying. I'm not prepared to do that.
--
Bonnie Granat
http://www.granatedit.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com