Re: T-letter, a good, good, thing.

Subject: Re: T-letter, a good, good, thing.
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:35:19 -0800

"Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com> wrote in message
news:218951 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> The difference between Word-generated HTML code and a dirty diaper is that
> with the diaper, I know what I'm going to find when I open it up.

Great line. :)

> In all seriousness, I'd redo the page if I were you. A lot of companies
> wouldn't care, but if I were interviewing candidates and came across
> Word-generated HTML code, I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that the author
> had zero knowledge of HTML editors.

I've tried so many ways to clean up Word's HTML, including their own "clean"
HTML patch they have available on their web site and Dreamweaver's clean
Word HTML function. Much manual work is still required afterward in all
cases. Yuk.

But then, this resume started many, many years ago, in an earlier version of
Word, with one of their resume templates. It's been tweaked. It's been saved
as RTF and resaved as Word format, and much more, but the base file is
ancient. Yet the organization and content gets high marks when I have it
reviewed.

I should probably (a) hide the Word HTML version and (b) add links to the
plain text version available on sites such as Hotjobs. (Yes, that's 3
formats maintianed: Word, Acrobat, and plain text.)

Public props to the list denizens who took their own time to make
suggestions for improvements. You've added to the weekend task list, but for
what I think is a good cause. :)

I love editors.

Chuck Martin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com