Re: Seeking something like "The Elements of Technical Illustration"

Subject: Re: Seeking something like "The Elements of Technical Illustration"
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:25:28 -0500

Susan Purcell <spurcell -at- cisco -dot- com> wrote on 11/06/2003 03:32:12 AM:
> I couldn't agree more about Frame's tools. Arrrrggggh.
> I learned Illustrator years ago, when I was doing hardware doc,
> but am stuck with Frame tools now. It's like going from a
> Mercedes to a Geo...no, actually, I can't think of any car that
> could be that frustrating. Well, maybe a Model T, one of those
> in Charlie Chaplin movies.

> Susan

Is anybody honestly surprised about this? A DTP program can't illustrate as well
as an illustration program. I'd never have guessed.
I'd add that I'm not sure the car analogy holds either. It's like complaining a
screwdriver is an annoying tool to drive nails.

And before someone brings up Words drawing tools as an example, you can't
compare Word and Illustrator either. Word is the DTP Swiss Army knife. Great to
have around in a pinch and many of the implements are adequate for many uses.
But none of the implements measures up to a dedicated single use tool.

For simple illustration tasks there are many freeware, shareware, inexpensive
commercial programs that will save files in any of the number of formats
supported by FM.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com