Re: compensation and productivity (was IMPROVING WRITERS' EFFICIENCY)

Subject: Re: compensation and productivity (was IMPROVING WRITERS' EFFICIENCY)
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:05:55 -0800 (PST)

Money makes the world go round, right? If you had all
the cash you wanted, would you still be sitting at
your desk pounding out docs and online help?

Just a thought.

I don't know whether money makes tech writers more
productive, but which would you choose, a communal
foosball table or a $2,000 raise? (Understood, the
costs to the company are different, but thinking
looking at the employee.)

May I suggest training and a positive, team-based work
environment, and valuing the contributions of
employees makes them happier and more productive?

Salary and foos-ball might increase retention of
valued employees, though.

Food for thought, nothing more.

--- Andrea Brundt <andrea_w_brundt -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Somebody wrote "Non-monetary incentives (free soda,
> free food, etc.) - these
> boost morale, but that may have no effect on
> increased productivity."
>
> There's an argument that *monetary* incentives don't
> do much for
> productivity, either -- at least when dealing with
> CEOs. Below is the text
> of a recent article in Toronto's Globe and Mail.
> It's long, but the opening
> analogy about huskies is intriguing.
>
> How does compensation affect your producivity and
> that of other tech
> writers?

=====
T.