RE: IMPROVING WRITERS' EFFICIENCY

Subject: RE: IMPROVING WRITERS' EFFICIENCY
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 06:58:28 -0800 (PST)

> > > It is now my duty to take
> > > our four content writers, and improve their
> efficiency by 20 percent.
>
> What gives? Did one of your executives read in a
> magazine that all employees
> waste 20% of their time? What is the basis for this
> number? Why twist
> yourself up in knots to jump through some completely
> arbitrary hoop?

I think that's not so much the issue as...

How are you going to measure 20% increased
productivity? How are you measuring it now? What's
your reference point? Are you looking for 60 WPM
instead of 50 WPM? Are you looking to add
deliverables? Shorten project timelines?

Unless you have SOLID measurement units to gauge with,
and you have a SOLID snapshot of the current measure
of productivity, you will fail in quantifying your
productivity increase.

> I actually agree with shortening deadlines and
> blocking techwr-l and
> upgrading RAM and having your own printer.

Printer? Really? I can't remember when I used a
printer other than to print a memo or install
instruction from the web...

So how, generally, can you increase productivity?

1. Build clearer communication channels between
Documentation, Development/Engineering, QA, and other
involved parties.

2. Ensure product specs are bulletproof and
productively verbose.

3. Create, perfect, maintain, and enforce a style
guide.

4. Make sure every writer has what they need to do
their job as effectively as possible. This includes
hardware, software, resources, and flexibility where
appropriate (flex time, work from home options, etc.).

False contributions to "increased productivity"
(IOW, these don't increase productivity...)

1. Longer work day/work week.

2. Working lunches.

3. Shortened deadlines.

4. Fewer doc review periods.

5. Non-monetary incentives (free soda, free food,
etc.) - these boost morale, but that may have no
effect on increased productivity.

So what works? It depends.

If YOU are tasked with increasing their productivity,
then YOU need to investigate the way things are and
note what looks inefficient and then FIX IT. That's
the only way. We can offer suggestions, but they may
not work or possibly may cause more problems if they
don't fit your group's needs.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com