Re: Starting an API Doc Project

Subject: Re: Starting an API Doc Project
From: RAC <dshay -at- pacbell -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 06:18:48 -0800

Excellent point, Peter. Thank you!

So, in creating a basic 'how to get started' task list for a writer with little or no API writing experience, I could start with:

1. Find out which developer(s) you will be working with and who may be reviewing your doc. Depending on time and resources, a developer may be able to provide coding examples for using the API.

2. Get access to all the source code and to the design documents, if possible.

***I'm writing an article on this, btw.

At 08:19 AM 11/6/2003 -0500, Peter Neilson wrote:

Because API documentation is usually a second-priority project, you may
find that your engineering support has suddenly been reassigned elsewhere.
Plan for this calamity beforehand. You should at least have access to all
the source code and to the design documents, if any exist. Perhaps you'll
want a support team of several engineers, all of whom are aware of your
work and are helping review parts of it and are writing coding examples
for how to use the API.

Some events are hard to plan for, however. On my last API project, the
entire company vanished while I was still in the planning stages. I guess
I should have squirreled some of the stuff away for my portfolio, but as it
is, I've got absolutely nothing to show for three months of work.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com