Re: IMPROVING WRITERS' EFFICIENCY

Subject: Re: IMPROVING WRITERS' EFFICIENCY
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 21:37:55 -0500

Whatever you do, you and they should be ready for the second part. Next year
you will be asked to improve them by as much again. You will very soon reach
diminishing returns, with much effort going into attempts to produce further
improvement, and the result being annoyed writers and disappointed management.

There is also the matter of measurement. It is simple to get work done faster
(something easy to measure) by scrapping the quality (a more difficult number
to pin down). Be very careful you don't get "what you asked for."

One of the best things a manager can do for good employees is to protect
them from Dilbert's boss.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:42:45 -0600, Anna Langley <alangley -at- ts -dot- checkpoint -dot- com> wrote:

It is now my duty to take
our four content writers, and improve their efficiency by 20 percent. I have
been tasked (love that word) with proving that by editing and training, I
can help our writers produce content 20 percent faster, because things like
consistency issues, time to edit, etc., will be reduced. I have a pseudo
style guide that isn't quite finished, and I want to do some quick OJT with
these guys, to ensure they understand some of our style issues. What other
things can I do in a very short time (read about a couple of weeks), to help
my writers improve their output, both in speed and quality? I appreciate any
input and suggestions.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com