Contents, focus of developer's guide?

Subject: Contents, focus of developer's guide?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:25:17 -0500

Vlad Dracul wonders: <<My employer wants to prepare a developer's guide for
a base product of a suite of middleware products. The argument being offered
in favor of preparing such a document is that the readers would be hard-core
developers
who would use the base product to develop software. But, would not such a
document merely be a user guide for an audience that comprises developers?>>

Any guide that tells you _how to use something_ could certainly be called a
"user's guide". But the advantage of changing the name is that it provides
more precision: a developer's guide is a user's guide for developers, an
administrator's guide is a user's guide for administrators, and so on. How
do you distinguish these guides from the guide for the users of the
software? By choosing a different and more specific adjective.

<<If a user guide for developers should be called a developer's guide, then,
in what way would the developer's guide differ from other user guides?>>

It would focus on the needs of the developer rather than of those who use
what that person develops. If I open the developer's guide, I want to know
how to use procedure calls, dimension variables, and allocate RAM. If I open
the user's guide and see any of this information, I'll run screaming. <g>
See the difference?

<<What is the focus of a developer's guide? What does a developer's guide
typically contain?>>

The guide should provide all the knowledge a developer needs to produce a
functional and efficient application. As a result, it typically contains an
overview of the software architecture (how everything fits together, perhaps
how the software differs from other similar software), a complete reference
guide to the commands (see our previous discussions of documenting APIs for
details), and perhaps even a list of tools and utilities to help get the job
done faster.

--Geoff Hart, ghart@ videotron.ca
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near the
earth's surface relative to other matter; second, telling other people to do
so. The first is unpleasant and ill-paid; the second is pleasant and highly
paid."--Bertrand Russell

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com