Re: Offshore writers and editors

Subject: Re: Offshore writers and editors
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:48:46 -0500

"Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:E1AGgnG-0004Tc-1f -at- czar -dot- hostingserver -dot- net -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Bonnie Granat wrote:
> > A writer/editor in India thinks I'm an employer and sends me his or her
> cover
> > letter and resume.
>
> You could have a LOT of fun with this mark. Put on your thinking cap...no,
> not that one - the *evil* one...

It's not fun, unfortunately. It's survival. ; (

> > It is easy for me to see the problems with this person's use of English.
> >There *are* problems -- the typical problems found with the work of
offshore
> >English speakers.
>
> Seriously though - if you really feel this way, why not contact companies
> that hire offshore editors, and point out that you can provide remote
> editing services *without* usage errors?

That's why I posted this, Mike, and offered the e-mail itself to people here.
If we all approach this problem more directly, that may be helpful. It's not
enough to just allege that the quality is reduced by showing examples of bad
documents whose authors we really don't know; this e-mail gives us real
evidence that is unimpeachable.

> You would then be in the position of competing with your high quality
> against their low price. It is not a bad strategy to target only customers
> who are willing to pay a premium for quality. If all they care about is
> price and not quality, they are not your target market anyway.

I offered this as a community service. If you would like a copy, let me know.

--
Bonnie Granat
Granat Technical Editing and Writing

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com