Re: English major as TW prerequisite?

Subject: Re: English major as TW prerequisite?
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 10:32:02 -0800 (PST)

"David Sullivan" wrote ...

> So, I'm curious: how many tech writers have English degrees? Has anyone
> else found that not having an English degree has hurt them at some time
> in their career?

People who have an English degree will say its great. People who don't will
justify why they don't need one.

If you can sit in front of an employer and demonstrate to them a solid
business, technical, and writing skills with a track record of consistently
reliable results, most places will care less what degree you have. The ones
that will, who cares. They're probably more interest in filling quotas anyway.

There are a million reasons that can get you tossed into the trash when you
apply for a job. The key is to stack the deck in your favor. Get to know the
people inside and match your skills to their requirements. At the end of the
day, most employment decisions come down to personality contests anyway. If
they like you as a person, they'll hire you.

Andrew Plato

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com