Re: Definition of Engineer (was: What to do?)

Subject: Re: Definition of Engineer (was: What to do?)
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:26:18 -0500

"Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com> wrote on 10/29/2003 03:02:48 PM:
> This makes me wonder about other clearly engineering
> disciplines: industrial
> engineering, chemical engineering, machanical engineering,
> to name just a
> few. How useful is a definition of "engineering" that
> leaves these and more
> out?

But they're only defining IEEE accredited engineers. Look to ASME for mechanical
engineering and the appropriate equivalent bodies for the other disciplines.

Sort of a know your audience kind of thing.

Quebec definitions can be found at:
http://www.oiq.qc.ca/profession/CheminementANG.pdf

Every province, state, and country that has a professional organisation for
engineering will have something similar. You're not an engineer until your local
order says you're one.

If you read the following from the provincial law books, it would seem that it
rules out any titles of "sanitation engineer", "Document Engineer" or any other
such title. There a fairly stiff fines and penalties associated with
contravening the law. All those with business cards that have engineer on them
could be in for a nasty surprise if anyone decides they want to prosecute you to
the full extent of the law.

"No persons shall claim in any manner to be an advocate, notary, physician,
dentist, pharmacist, optometrist, veterinary surgeon, agrologist, architect,
engineer, land-surveyor, forest engineer, chemist, chartered accountant,
radiology technician, denturologist, dispensing optician, chiropractor,
hearing-aid acoustician, podiatrist or nurse, acupuncturist or bailiff or use
one of the above titles or any other title or abbreviation which may lead to the
belief that he is one, or initials which may lead to the belief that he is one,
or engage in a professional activity reserved to the members of a professional
order, claim to have the right to do so or act in such a way as to lead to the
belief that he is authorized to do so, unless he holds a valid, appropriate
permit and is entered on the roll of the order empowered to issue the permit,
unless it is allowed by law.

Article 32 - Section II
PROFESSIONAL CODE"

Note: I think that "advocate" may mean lawyer. Have to be doubly careful in
Quebec about poorly translated laws.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com