Re: What to do?

Subject: Re: What to do?
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:50:19 -0800 (PST)

> thing to do). The
> > project manager pointed out that there are state
> regulations in New York
> > that govern who can have "engineer" in their job
> title, and that
> > therefore he would not be able to accommodate my
> request. I assume this
> > varies from state to state, but it's something to
> keep in mind.
> >
> Don't laws such as those cover only jobs the do
> state work? If so, perhaps
> that was an effective straw man erected by your
> former manager.
>
> If not, perhaps we've found a new purpose for the
> STC.... :)

I think the idea of the STC becoming an
advocacy/lobbying group for tech writers is good in
principle, but it probably can't be implemented
because of internal contradictions.

I read the posts in the STC improvement blog, and it
seemed to me the large majority of them are complaints
about the costs. If the STC were to go into the
lobbying business, it would need full-time experienced
lobbyists on the payroll. Such people are not cheap.
If the STC hired lobbyists the dues would probably
have to go up, not down. Maybe STC members would agree
to that if they thought the lobbying would do them any
real good...I don't know.

Also, the STC is an international organization. Many
US STC members are worried about job exporting, and
want to eliminate or seriously restrict it, but the
STC can't represent their views in legislatures
without slighting non-US members. The STC would have
to restrict itself to US membership only. Either that
or the STC would have to ignore what is a serious
issue for many members, which of course opens the
organization to even more complaints about not being
response or not being of value, etc.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com