re: Cultural differences w. color perception

Subject: re: Cultural differences w. color perception
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:43:46 -0800 (PST)

----------------------------
Richard Burkhart asks:
Has anyone run across studies on how people from different
cultures view color? I've done websearches and bugged the people at
bookstores - haven't been able to find anything specific.

You'll want to look at cultural linguistics, linguistic anthropology, the anthropology of linguistics, and any other combo of those two words you can think of. There is a large body of literature on color perception and the like.....but as I'm writing this, I believe what I remember reading was more along the lines of describing what constitutes, say green, in one culture over another culture. You may have to dig around for the meanings of color in a specific culture. Again, a good ethnography or ethnology should cover this.

I seem to remember "Toward a Theory of Cultural Linguistics" having a nice section on color and culture, but it's been a while since I've looked at that book.

In my personal experience working at a university dining commons, we always had problems with decorating the dining area. No matter what holiday it was, someone complained about the colors. If we changed them to meet that person's concerns, someone else complained about the new colors. Christmas colors...sorry, winter-break colors...always drew a lot of fire and the suggestions for replacement colors were always...nationalistic in nature.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com