RE: Hi-Tech Company Hasn't Used Tech Writers in Years

Subject: RE: Hi-Tech Company Hasn't Used Tech Writers in Years
From: Anne -dot- Miller -at- gd-ais -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:53:40 -0600

I do appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative. I am sifting through all the e-mails and will likely respond privately to the various comments. I took pains to not give the name of my employer although I hadn't thought of using another e-mail address. I am so used to blank stares anytime I mention where I work - whether I am speaking of the larger corporate entity or the sub company or my little business unit. In any event, I only speak for what is happening in one small part of the company. The various corporate companies, including my own, are all quite large and have many tech writers in various locations around the country. I have no way of contacting or interacting with the other writers in the larger corporate universe but as far as I can tell they are used in the normal manner and produce perfectly adequate documentation. It is only my business unit (not the entire corporate sub company) with the unusual situation of having done away with all their writers an!
d the ensuing frustrations. They are working to rebuild this lost capability - one reason I am here.

Many suggested I give up and find a different job. I've certainly thought of that but for personal reasons (recent divorce, single mom to a young child, and more) that's not an option at this time. I only moved halfway across the country just before starting this job and don't want to move again just now - also just bought a house. I also happen to be genuinely excited about this company and what it does. I want to commit to a career here, but, indeed, that may not be possible.

Thanks again for all the comments,

Anne

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com