Re: The unconfidentiality of techwr-l

Subject: Re: The unconfidentiality of techwr-l
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:19:54 -0700

True, but my point was that contrary to our natural sense of paranoia,
most bosses don't have the time or the inclination to go about searching
the net to see what their employees are posting about their manager or
their company (I've been a boss, and I've never bothered to do it).
OTOH, many companies routinely monitor the traffic on their own
corporate email servers, either to ensure that sensitive information
isn't being disseminated or to detect improper use of company
resources. So while posting to public forums is certainly exposing
yourself to the potential view of an employer who might be inclined
to go looking for you, using your employer's own email system to do
it is more akin to waving a big red flag and firing flares into the air.

Gene Kim-Eng