Re: Can't search the PDF file. (Happier day)

Subject: Re: Can't search the PDF file. (Happier day)
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:54:56 -0700 (PDT)

The driver thing is pretty important.

But, you shouldn't have to take a course, first, no.
However, the elements of PDFing are not trivial:
drivers (as mentioned) and fonts have to be considered
first, before FrameMaker or Word.

And, I agree Adobe has a history of screwing up the
installation. Abostively. And, for FM 5.5.6 and 6,
FrameMaker's Save As PDF was poorly implemented, such
that Print was the most reliable way for most to get
there--though you certainly could work through the
issue and reliably use Save as. (And, then, there is a
bug listed on Shlomo's site that affects search--but
it's an Open-Type or Acrobat 6 bug, I think, not a
FrameMaker one.)

Still . . . at this point, why not take some training,
it might be an efficient approach to the problem?
Better yet, bring the setup down the FrameUsers
conference and we'll take a look over a beer or two.
<g>

Cheers,

Sean

--- Emily Berk <emily -at- armadillosoft -dot- com> wrote:
> And by the way all I am attempting to do is to
> publish a document that was written in Word in
> ENGLISH and edited in FM in ENGLISH and Printed to
> Distiller in ENGLISH as a PDF in ENGLISH ...
>
> Don't you think that I should be able to go File,
> Save As, PDF and have that PDF have all the features
> that sure typical PDF might have such as be
> searchable
>
> WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE A COURSE IN ACROBAT first?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com