Re: Resume and Interview Advice

Subject: Re: Resume and Interview Advice
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:56:51 -0700

Quoting cor -at- techwritercor -dot- com:

> 1. Do I put my new job on my resume that lasted for less than a month?

Only if you want to - for example, if it allowed you to learn a skill or a tool
that would be useful at another job.

Despite what many people think, a resume is not a complete and objective job
history. You list on the resume experience and skills that might help you get
an interview for a particular job, and that's all.

Similarly, although you will find interviewers who want to know exactly why you
left each job and why there are gaps in your work history, they are rarer than
people think. For most people, leaving a job or employment gaps are not worth
noticing, especially in high-tech, where they are common.

If the issue does come up, say something polite and non-committal. "Personal
reasons" is usually enough. Whatever answer you give is far less important than
refraining from bad-mouthing a former employer, no matter how much he or she
happens to deserve it.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com